My shelter-in-place impulse buy was a straight razor kit. I’m still learning how to shave comfortably, but the shaves are quite smooth. Now that the initial anxiety about cutting myself has faded, the process is a lot of fun.
The Art of Manliness guide is a good intro, to which I’d add the following notes:
- As long as I’m reasonably careful, cuts aren’t nearly as painful as I expected them to be.
- Make sure to understand the correct angle; 30 degrees is probably closer than is strictly comfortable at first. If you experience a lot of discomfort but don’t cut yourself, the angle is probably wrong; the razor is likely tugging at your hair instead of slicing it.
- Use the lightest touch possible; for me, it helps to think of the razor as just barely kissing the skin.
- I’ve read elsewhere that shaving against the grain isn’t advisable if you have curly facial hair.
- Developing left-hand dexterity for hard-to-reach spots is well worth it.
- You haven’t really lived until you’ve shaved your bikini zone with a straight edge.
2020-05-01 22:06 (Last updated: 2020-10-11 21:01)
675c080 @ 2020-10-11